[blparent] Been a while

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 10 20:22:59 UTC 2013

Hello,

Hope you convention-goers are recovering. I'm sure it was a great time.

It's been a while, and between baby and other responsibilities in life,
I don't have much time for listserves. I peek in from time-to-time
though.

Declan will turn one at the end of August. I can't believe how fast it's
flying by. I told Ross that while I look forward to future milestones,
it makes me a little sad he won't always be this age.

I'm already preparing for his birthday party, which when counting
immediate family alone and the only three non-family members to be
invited, it will potentially be 30 people! WOW! That's a lot of people
for a one-year-old's b-day party. And this is just parents, siblings,
first-cousins and grandparents.

Declan started pulling himself up into standing positions right at 8
months, and since 9 months, he's been walking with assistance. He just
turned 10 months on the 29th, and he's doing a lot of free-standing and
taking two and three independent steps. He loves to walk when holding
onto a hand.

He's only in the 3rd percentile for weight though, so he's this tiny guy
walking around, smile. He's healthy and growing just fine though. None
of his bottoms fit in the waist though, and he's still in size 3
diapers.

He loves to be chased and to chase after others. He recently displayed
he understands that to open a door you do something with the handle.
Thank God he doesn't have the dexterity and height to actually open a
door yet, grin.

He's eating solids just fine, and in addition to being able to hold the
spoon and feed himself, there's very little he won't eat. He likes most
greens, yellows and fruits. He also loves banana-nut Cheerios, Apple
Jacks and his Gerber cheese puff snacks. We've started introducing other
table foods and it's hit and miss right now. Some things he likes like
anything with sweet potatoes, and some fruits he likes like diced
peaches, but other things like diced bananas he won't touch though he
loves baby food bananas. We just keep trying things.

After a major storm, we lost power for an entire day, losing most of our
supply of donated breast milk. Thanks to a wonderful friend and a
generous donor, we were able to stock up again, and Declan will be able
to continue breast milk right on through age one. We've been very
fortunate because finding donated milk is difficult. Most of you know my
story, and for all the pushing of breast milk, when it's not possible,
very few options are left. We've been very blessed with finding
trust-worthy donars, and finding donars in general that aren't charging
an arm and a leg.

I think I posted this, but his G-button was removed May first, and no
problems there. As of early June, we stopped his acid reflux medication,
and so far, no symptoms have occurred. He did develop a staff infection
from scratching a dry patch on his skin, but after a two week round of
antibiotics, everything has cleared up, and he seems fine.

Quite literally every day I'm astounded we have him. Those who know our
story, and those who have also struggled to have children, can
appreciate this. We spent years thinking this would never happen, being
told it would never happen, and now Declan has filled up our lives. I
feel as though I imagined it all, or I'm having a fantastic dream.

Penny will always be our surrogate daughter, and she's still very much a
part of our lives, but to have a child who's here every day, who
aknowledges only me as his mommy, who I get to spend every moment with,
well, it's just the best.

Thanks to all of you who supported me and provided advice. I will now
stop rambling about my darling, smile.

Enjoy the rest of summer. This too is flying by way too fast.

Bridgit