[blparent] Been a while

Michelle Creedy michelle.creedy at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 19:03:16 UTC 2013

I don't think it should be encouraged that anyone's highest point of the
year is going to convention to meet blind people. We all meet people every
day and it's important to build community as human beings wherever we are.
The point that comes to mind is that we are inter-dependent. Yes it's
wonderful to have the support of other blind people as mentors, friends and
teachers but it's also one of the dangers of all the technology upon which
we tend to rely nowadays. It just brings home once again the need for good
training programs such as the ones run by the NFB which encourage people to
get out there and do things. I'd imagine that building community is even
more apparent when one has children because one interacts with so many
people in so many different ways especially when school starts. I tend to
see people as human and whether someone is blind or not is just another
aspect of them. Of course, I don't deny the blindness and I'm proud of who I
am as a blind person but in the end, we're all basically human with
different life journeys.

I visit a community which is very much on the margins and the fact that
we're all just human really comes home to one.

Michelle