[blparent] Finding ticks on kids nonvisually?

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Thu Jul 11 22:00:13 UTC 2013

Michelle,

Probably in part because I agree wit  her, I don't see where she made any blanket statements.  I think it is very important as
blind parents and blind people that we are careful to explore our own capabilities before we assume that a sighted person is
automatically more capable than we are to handle a given situation.  While you did not specifically say that this was the case,
you did seem to be predisposed in your note to having your friends gather information for you even though you are using that
information to make your own decisions.  I would submit that you don't have to be a nurse or even sighted to find a tick on a
child.  If one is wondering if they found ticks, I don't see any problem with having a sighted friend verify to help a new parent
build confidence, but to me, this process just isn't aht mysterious.  We do share idease on this list, but it's also reasonable to
share the pros and the cons of various approaches,.

As new parents, we are going to lack experience and we will need some help.  Some of that help we can get by talking to experts
and with friends as well as people here.  Remember, though, that your friends are not necessarily going to know what you are
capable of doing, so one has to walk a sort of fine line of using there expertise as a way to learn what you can do rather than as
a factor that might limit what you believe you can do.  For example, if you had a friend you feel you could count on for help and
you had a child in a day camp, my suggestion would be to check for ticks yourself, and if you didn't feel confident have your
friend check as well.  If your friend found a tick that you missed, that doesn't prove that you need to have someone else check
your child, but rather, that there is more you need to learn about finding ticks.  You could use such a circumstance as a means to
learn what it was that caused you to miss the tick.  Maybe it was somewhere that you didn't look or it was smaller than you
expected or something.  To me, there is a big difference between having a friend gather information and using a friend to help you
learn to gether the information.  I am saying all of this not to be critical of what you said, but because from what you have
said, you are very early in this process and some of this may not be obvious and this is a way those of us who have been through
this can be of some kind of help.  One has to always consider that one will have to make decisions in the absence of even good
friends because they can't always be there, so one has to develop one's abilities as much as possible, but fortunately, our
limitations tend to be smaller than we think when we're starting out.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson