[blparent] Independence and dependence - was Finding ticks on kidsnonvisually?

melissa R green graduate56 at juno.com
Mon Jul 15 03:28:05 UTC 2013

very well said steve.

Blessings,
Melissa Green and PJ
facebook Melissa R Green
Linkedin www.linkedin.com/in/melissagreen5674
skype: lissa5674
Goodreads Melissa Green

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Jacobson" <steve.jacobson at visi.com>
Sent: Sunday, July 14, 2013 12:27 PM
Subject: [blparent] Independence and dependence - was Finding ticks on
kidsnonvisually?

In one form or another, this topic of asking for help and what is
independence comes up often on this list.  It is a complex topic in many
ways because there are so many factors to take into consideration.  For
example, we are not all the
same as blind people, each of us having different sets of strengths and
weaknesses.  We have to take into account the feelings of the people who
might be offering help.  We have to consider that we grow
up in a society that generally believes we can do less than we really can
do.  Finally, we are human, and it is generally easier to let someone else
do those things that might challenge us whether we could carry
out the task ourselves or not.  I would like to put some thoughts down not
because my approach is the only approach, but rather so we might discuss
this a little and maybe even understand each other better.

We will never live up to our potential if we limit ourselves to only doing
those things society in general things we can do.  We probably wouldn't be
parents if we did that since much of society doesn't believe we
can raise kids.  If you don't think that is true, try adopting kids as a
single blind parent or as a blind couple.  My experience was as half of a
blind couple.

By definition, the lack of society's belief in what we can do will mean that
we will all likely do things that some of those around us don't think we
should be doing.  We can't really allow our boundaries to be set
by others, without gaining some understanding of how accurate their vision
is of what
blind people can do.  The average blind person is, in my experience, more
knowledgeable of what blind people can do than is the average sighted
person.  In that sense, I don't think getting advice from a blind person and
from a sighted person are really the same.  One has to be aware of their
backgrounds.  I would hasten to add that it
should never be assumed that sighted people have nothing to offer.  It is
fortunately not that simple.  I have learned a good deal from sighted
people, and they can provide very useful input because of having
vision that can be valuable.  In addition, there are certainly things that
can be
done more easily with vision, and there are tasks that require vision.  I've
also known blind people who have no belief in other blind
people, whose advice would be questionable.  There is another category of
blind people who are quite capable, but who tend to believe that if they
cannot do a given thing it can't be done by blind people.
The value of their advice is mixed.

Still, I believe it is accurate to say that most sighted people are most
comfortable helping by performing a task themselves so we don't have to do
it.  Teaching us to perform a given task is likely going
to take longer, and not everyone is a natural teacher.  Sometimes, the only
way we know whether we can do a given thing is to try it.  This means that
we will try and occasionally fail, or succeed with mixed
results.  I
believe it is very important that we figure out how sighted friends and
family members can assist us to learn by providing feedback that can help us
refine a new skill and not just take care of various tasks for us.

Finally, what each of us can do and what we need done for us isn't goiing to
be the same for all of us.  We will never know what we can do, though,
without trying things.  Every single thing that we do as blind
people had to be done for the first time by someone, and they were probably
criticized for trying to be too independent when they tried.  There is such
a bias in society toward us being helpless that when trying
something new, it is far more likely that we will succeed with a little
practice than that we will seek to do something that is unattainable.

So it is fine to theorize about all this, but should we be experimenting
when it involves the safety of our kids?  Certainly we have to think about
how learning to do something affects our kids.  It would be
irresponsible to think otherwise.  I would maintain, though, that sometimes
there are
trade-offs that he have to consider.  First, it is a myth to think that just
by being a sighted parent, all safety issues are resolved.  For example, one
of the biggest challenges in raising young children are medical
concerns.  There are ear infections, bad colds, worries about pneumonia,
rashes, and on
and on.  If you think about it, parents with a medical background are going
to recognize certain things more quickly than are parents without a medical
background.  That doesn't mean that we decide that only
persons with medical backgrounds be allowed to care for small children.  We
know that
parents without medical backgrounds have to figure out when they can deal
with a problem and when they need help.  We are not that different.

Let's look quickly at this tick example, for instance.  On the surface, the
safest thing to do for our kids is to have a sighted friend drop what they
are doing and come over and look for ticks after a day at a
camp.  On that particular day, it would be difficult to argue that isn't the
safest
approach if a blind parent has never done that before.  However, what
happens when a sighted person is not available?  What happens if at another
time, the sighted person who is available isn't particularly
careful about the inspection?  The point here is that if we learn to look
for ticks ourselves and we make use of a sighted
friend to help us learn rather than to just perform the task, our kids are
actually going to be safer in the long run.  It's not just about being
independent, it's about what makes sense.

So do we lay down one set of rules for everyone?  Of course not, but neither
do we have no expectations of one another.  While I believe there is no
reason a blind person cannot learn to look for ticks, I
recognize that there are people who may have less sensitive fingertips
making the job much tougher or even impossible.  So while I might be
justified in saying that blindness is not a reason that one cannot
inspect for ticks, I have to realize that there may sometimes be other
factors or even disabilities that complicate the question.  In my opinion,
though, it would be wrong for us to use the fact that there could be
other factors to have no expectations at all, to assume that as blind
parents we cannot find ticks.  It is certainly true that we need to
understand our limitations.  Care needs to be taken, though, to not let our
limitations be set by someone else or by what might be convenient in the
short term.  What do you think?

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

On Fri, 12 Jul 2013 18:46:21 -0600, Veronica Smith wrote:

>I know what your saying.  It is what it is, if we have someone to ask for
>advice, that's okay, it's the same if we have another blind person to ask.
>All is good.

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/blparent_nfbnet.org/michelle.creedy%4
>>> 0gmai
>>> l.com