[blparent] Pulling Strollers

Jennifer Bose jen10514 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 20 16:59:44 UTC 2013

On 7/19/13, Jess <jessandellie101611 at gmail.com> wrote:
> V,
> Yes, they make strollers with reversible handles. I had one for the few
> months I was doing the DCYF stuff  for my daughter at that time.
>

> Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Smartphone

Hi, listers.

I'm struck by the fact that questions about pulling strollers come up
over and over again from new parents; after all, these questions are
important. The conversation about the safety of babies is also
important. What would be a wonderful thing to come out of all of this
is a concrete list of strollers that parents can pull. From my own
experience asking about this, I heard about reversible-handle
strollers on this list and heard about people who had bought strollers
they could pull but the brands were now discontinued. I would take the
information I found and then do some research or go shopping and never
really come away with the right stroller in the end. I now have a
beautiful double-stroller (I have two little ones) with a handle that
does not reverse but with seats that can turn. It's a red City Select
model. A friend of mine who's an engineer rigged up a harness for me
to wear to pull it, but with rear wheels that really don't swivel,
it's not the best solution, so our babysitter and other sighted people
just push the girls in it. Either I'm not too patient or too clear,
but when I would ask about strollers that could be pulled, or had
reversible handles, even store department managers would say they
didn't have them or weren't sure what I meant. I had come to the
conclusion that pullable strollers just didn't exist, really. I ended
up using front and back carriers a lot, which I liked, and also have a
red wagon we can pull the kids in, which is a lot of fun.

We're a very helpful, well-meaning group, but the information about
the best strollers to use comes out in a very piecemeal way. What I'd
like to do is somehow note down the details for newer parents of
exactly which strollers are pullable and where people got them. If
there are ways we could keep concrete lists of tips like this for
other people so that the process of finding answers to questions like
this wouldn't be so arduous, it would be great. Sharon, is this
something you already provide through your classes and online chats?
If someone really wants to just find out which strollers to focus on,
for example, and cut through all the anecdotal information, where
should they look?

Jen