[blparent] Pulling strollers

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 20 19:43:25 UTC 2013

While in motion, that would have to be an awfully dexterous kidnapper,
grin. And not to mention, the baby will be strapped in. I've pulled
strollers behind me with two kids, and not once has anyone ever
approached us in a threatening way, nor has anyone approached us I
wasn't aware of, and not that this truly matters, but I'm totally blind.

Some people use a much longer cane and manage to push the stroller ahead
of them. You can try this, but for me, I find it slows me down. When I'm
not moving, for whatever reason, I stand to the side of the stroller,
while still holding onto it, so I can check baby and also as a safety
precaution.

I also recommend, if you haven't already, doing a ton of research on
strollers. I spent months researching various strollers. And try some
out if possible. My top two are the Bob jogging stroller and the Chicco,
which is the one we went with. They are pricier, especially the Bob's,
but they are dependable, have great shock absorbency and offer nice
accessories. They do make strollers that allow the handle to switch from
the back to the front of the stroller. This means when you pull, baby is
still facing you. It essentially turns the stroller into a pram. Not
many brands make strollers like this, but Graco is a brand offering a
model with a flip handle.

And as for travel classes, I'm assuming you mean in terms of travel with
a baby. To my knowledge, there's nothing specific to this, but I'm sure
your local blind rehab agency can offer suggestions and tips. Ultimately
though, it's not that difficult. And once you actually do it, you will
learn what works for you and how best to maneuver a stroller.

Bridgit
Message: 1