[blparent] Potty training older kids. joy oh bliss.

Shannan Zinck shannanzinck at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 18:40:05 UTC 2013

Well we adopted a new strategy for training Myles. Today is day 1 of
operation "responsible for you own crap"
This is based on research on countless websites by professionals and
parents alike. Some kids this has been tried with are like 6 so we'll see.
Basic gist, If he wets himself he knows how to change it so if he chooses
not to he's not allowed on any of the furniture except for 1 designated
chair until he decides to change himself, If he craps then he has to decide
when to get changed, we're not mean enough to make him change his poopy
bum. LOL. He decides when he will use the toilet we had a chat and
explained the importance of toilet training now he has to make up his mind
to do it. He can tell us exactly what to do and has done it in the past so
he knows how to use it just doesn't. He gets a real charge out of ticking
us off when he soils himself so we know there is a bit of a power struggle
here. Quite sarcastic too. Anyway the idea is to give him total
responsibility for his own body and by doing so the hope is that he will
make himself uncomfortable enough to want to change the situation. I'm
better now so there's no real outward stress now and I've been on the mend
for about 2 months. I get my eye on the 10th of Jul. yay. my little bunny
trail. He doesn't care at all if he's wet or poopy so it's going to be
interesting for a little while. Hope we don't get much company since he
stinks up the whole house when he goes. He's huge so goes like an 8 year
old. LOL He totally gets it because this aft he crapped and I asked him if
he wanted to be changed and his response was "No I wanna be poopy, it's my
choice" He's 4 so I had to stifle a laugh over that one. He's on his little
yellow chair as content as can be stinking up my house. ugh. Mamma's gonna
have a rough go with this one. Oh yeah another thing is no more reminders
and it's extremely rare for a kid his age to not be able to feel if he
needs to go or not. When we're out of course changing is a must but at home
this is our new policy. If this doesn't produce anything after a month
the recommendation is to visit the doc. Early intervention is supposed to
call sometime but, that could take forever and we need to do something that
isn't going to drive us crazy in the mean time. This is annoying but,
easier for us really because there is no arguing with him. nothing said no
one to argue with. Praying this works. Thought I'd post this for 2 reasons
1 to update and 2 to encourage any moms with younger kids then mine that
they are not alone incase they go through what we are now. I have a long
list of the do's and don't for the parents of older untrained kids. once
they hit a certain age the rules change largely. here's to hopin.

--
Shannan Zinck
Survival is letting GOD take over!!!