[blparent] I'm distraught

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 27 23:03:19 UTC 2013

Jo Elizabeth,

Oh dear, please don't worry. And if anyone has the guts to bash you,
they can contend with me.

I have yet to do this with the kids, but Ross has.

He recently went on a walk with Declan. All was great until he crossed a
street and never ended up back on a sidewalk. As it turns out, the
street he was crossing is angled, and he didn't angle enough to cross.
He ended up back in the street because of this. Fortunately no cars were
coming by, but situations like this don't boost your confidence.

When Penny was two or so, we were taking the bus somewhere. Being a type
one diabetic, I started having a low blood sugar. When this happens, my
first priority is the kids if I have them.

The bus stop was literally a minute from our flat at the time, so I took
her back. I can gage about how much time I have before a low gets out of
control. I was worried about Penny if I passed out or something (which
thankfully has never happened yet while alone with the kids) and wanted
her safe in a contained environment.

I went into the wrong building, and by this point I was not feeling so
great. We went back outside, I guzzled down a bottle of juice, and
started trekking back to the correct building.

A neighbor observed all this and came to help. I must have looked really
bad, and I could tell the neighbor was not sure what to do or what was
wrong with me.

We made it home, and I almost crashed once inside, but I was able to get
some more carbs into me.

Of course Penny had no clue what was happening.

I was so worried this woman would chalk it up to blindness. I was
seriously waiting for the CPS visit. Being low and a little confused
because of it, she most likely thought the poor blind woman had no idea
what she was doing.

I felt like the worse mom though, and I'm terrified of having a really
bad low when not at home, and I'm alone with the kids. This is a real
fear of mine. I test frequently and manage my diabetes well, but things
can still happen. I always carry snacks and juice on me, but sometimes
things get away from me.

I think as parents we always feel guilt. I still am dealing with the
fact that when Declan was in the NICU, I wasn't able to be there day and
night. I actually cry about this sometimes. I know he will never know,
but I start thinking about my baby laying in that crib wondering where
mommy is and I can't handle it.

I also worry about going out with the kids. I am not necessarily worried
about my ability to travel, but drivers can be crazy. I don't trust
others, and this makes me worry.

So don't feel bad about wanting to stay indoors. Of course we need to be
out in the world, but it's a scary world blind or not.

You are not a bad mother though, and know that anyone can enter an
unsafe situation even sighted people.

Bridgit
Message: 2