[blparent] while a stranger crosses a line

Shannan Zinck shannanzinck at gmail.com
Tue May 7 23:32:03 UTC 2013

We don't even know if our son is special needs we are just now exploring
that possibility. He functions fairly typical for a 4 year old except in a
few areas. He is not in such a way as to require special care that much I
do know. If he is special needs then he would be pretty high functioning
for sure. The van thing was bad but, he is a kid and how many of us adults
did this very thing when we were kids. Really I'm sure over half the
population has done this at least once, I know I did when I was like 6.
Much worse in my case, almost go hit on a corner because I was teasing a
friend and ran across the street from him. Not very bright but, I sure
didn't do it again. No we don't know her well at all, he has only met her
once before and she was nice to him that day. I know she was likely
panicked and we do give her the benefit of the doubt in that case as long
as she doesn't act as though we have the plague because of it. She
obviously did not see our other neighbor call him back when he was doing it
and he was already on the grass when she got out and started in on him. The
deed was done and dealt with before she even stopped the van and when she
got out he wasn't even near it. We had already spoken to him by that point.
To him that's over stating it and by then a child like him isn't listening
anyway so you're wasting your hard earned breath yelling at him. He had
already been told the same thing twice before that. I did see that her van
was going very slow and he was behind and to the side of it. Unless the van
backed up and turned left he couldn't have been hit and they were parking
after all. My problem at the time was I couldn't tell how far away from the
van he actually was. We have since been stressing the point home about
getting on the grass as fast as he can when a car, a bike, a truck or a van
is coming and yes you have to explain it that way to him. She also I don't
think knew how old he really is, he's extremely tall for a 4 year old and
even looks older then he is so he gets lumped in with the 6 or 7 year old
age group and people think he should know more then he does. She may have
assumed at his age he should know better and at 6 I would agree. But he's 4
not 6. Big difference. It's no biggy now but, I thought I should clarify a
few things.

--
Shannan Zinck
Survival is letting GOD take over!!!