[blparent] speking at my daughter's class

Wendy Meuse w_meuse at telus.net
Sat Nov 9 09:03:37 UTC 2013

Hi Robert:

Oh I used to love speaking in my daughter's classes.  I just used to love to think on my feet when they asked those oh so crazy
questions.  I started speaking in her classes when she had trouble when she was about eight.  She came home crying one day because
kids were teasing her because her mamma was blind.  I always have thought that kids make fun of things they don't understand, so I
phoned her teacher and talked to her.  I asked her if I could come in and speak to the class and bring my Seeing eye dog Sandy with
me.  She was really excited about Sandy and I coming.  I also brought a couple of Braille books along with my Brailler.  I had a
list of the children's names and I did them each an alphabet card with their name on the bottom.  I would call two names at a time
and they could come up and get their card as well as give Sandy a pet or two.  I took her harness off so that they could all say hi
to her.  I had quite a talk at the beginning and they asked some really good questions.  They loved being able to say hi to Sandy.
Grace never had any trouble at all after that.  It really helped to educate the children a little.  Yes I could have gotten all mad
and very indignant about the whole thing, but this was so much better.