[blparent] Speaking engagements at schools and the like

Veronica Smith madison_tewe at spinn.net
Mon Nov 11 17:53:25 UTC 2013

Hello, I'm a little behind since I got my new job.  But as for talking to
classrooms is super.  Why would anyone think that educating kiddos about
blindness is a bad thing.
If we take the time to educate the little ones, the misconceptions about
what we can or cannot do when they get older can and will be nipped in the
behind.
I have been speaking at classrooms since my daughter began Kindergarten and
the teachers have always appreciated it.  When I go, I always take lots of
literature about blind individuals, who they are and what they do.
And if you feel like a show and tell exhibit, so be it.  When we had our
kiddos, we knew this time would come, everyone is curious about how blind
peeps do anything.
I, for one, do not want all those kids thinking that  I  cannot do the same
things their sighted parents do.  I want each and everyone of them to know I
bake with my child, I go for long walks with her, I take her to the movies
and shopping at the mall.
I want those kids and others to know that I read with her, that I play
Frisbee at the park with her.  We cannot teach any of this by hiding behind
our walls or doors.
I am glad they want to know more, afterall, that is why they are in school,
right and maybe someday, they will be the ones to say, "ablind person can do
anything except drive safely on a city street!"  that is my motto!

Also, if I had a dog guide and someone said she was fat, I'd turn the table
on them and ask, why they thought that.  I would also tell the teacher it
was just a statement, not a true criticism.  I don't think they should be
punished for stating what they thought.   Do you?