[blparent] Guide dog questions

Melissa Ann Riccobono melissa at riccobono.us
Thu Sep 26 22:05:39 UTC 2013

Hello Jo Elizabeth,
Sometimes, schools will do in home training. Of course, there are some
programs that only train dogs in consumers' homes. But, even schools who
don't generally do in home training might be willing to take a look at it,
especially if you got a dog from that school in the past. This is actually
how I trained with my current guide dog. My son was young at the time, and I
was home with him during the day. I certainly could have found care for him,
and my husband was supportive, but I asked the school, in my case, Guide
Dogs for the Blind, if they ever did in home training. They told me they did
on a case by case basis. So, I told them my situation, had someone come and
visit for follow up with my old dog/interview for a new dog, and was granted
permission to do in home training. It worked very well for me. The trainer
stayed for about ten days, and I felt confident when he left. I did some
work with my son in his stroller, some work with my son on my back in his
backpack, some work with my son holding my hand and walking, and some work
without my son along. It was harder in some ways--just making the time to
really bond with the dog, and having other things going on besides just dog
training. But, it was great in so many other ways... I got to practice
routes I was familiar with, I got to introduce the dog to everyday
situations right from the start, and I didn't have to be away, which was
huge! I think a lot more schools are becoming aware of the fact that blind
people cannot always take off time for training with a dog, so you may want
to look into some type of in home program if you want to get a dog and are
worried about the time away.
Melissa