[blparent] Off topic - garden plants

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Tue Feb 25 20:40:53 UTC 2014

Kai,

There is a great deal that a blind person can enjoy about gardens and flowers without seeing them.  The different
fragrances is just one example.  I would guess that most of us wouldn't feel that a flower has to have one
characteristic or another if gardening is an interest, we would probably be more concerned that we have a garden
we can be proud of when seen by others.

On the other hand, there are some of us who just are not all that interested in getting fertilizer under their
fingernails.  I'm one of those even though I've done a good deal of pulling weeds and even a little planting in
the yard of my house.  Having said that, I am not at all above enjoying fresh tomatoes, carrots, or raspberries
that someone else has grown.  <smile>  I also very much enjoy the scent of apple blossoms and other plants in the
spring.  However, there isn't a flower out there that would likely turn me into a dedicated gardener.  I guess
what I'm trying to say is that your best bet is to talk it over with her, see what her interests are, and go from
there.  Would she like flowers that could be picked and brought into the house, for example?  Is she interested in
learning about gardening?  Would she enjoy planting some herbs that she might use when cooking?  Is her role more
to enjoy the results or develop an enjoyment of making things grow?

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson