[blparent] blindparent RE3 kids being SNEAKY

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Wed Jan 8 18:18:34 UTC 2014

Generally if it is someone in the public that I'm never going to see again,
unless I'm feeling particularly feisty that day, I just shake my head and
move on.  I'm getting too old to take on every battle in the world, and
sometimes it's hard to tell when somebody's talking down to me because of
blindness or doing the baby talk thing to my child--and who knows which is
worse!  *Smile.*  Although my little girl tends to say what's on her mind,
and at almost six, she's getting to the age where if it's particularly
obvious, she's beginning to notice social stupidity at its worst.  I had an
appointment with my rheumatologist not long ago, and she had to tag along.
The nurse was particularly in need of some sensitivity training when it came
to dealing with the blind, I guess, because instead of addressing me, she
spoke to my daughter in a candy sweet voice, saying, "Oh honey, isn't it
great that your mommy brought you along to help?  I need you to walk her
over here to the scale and help her step up on it so I can see how much she
weighs, hmmm?"

I was about to say something, probably something snarky, but my daughter
glanced up from her Strawberry Shortcake coloring book and told the nurse,
"She can walk over there and step up all by herself.  I'm kind of busy right
now."

Last spring, a new nurse came in and gave my daughter her booster
vaccinations so she could start school.  I was supposed to hold my
daughter's hands out of the way, but the nurse didn't tell me when she was
going to deliver the shots.  So I wasn't holding on tight, and my daughter
reached out and grabbed the needles.  I snatched her hands back right away
as soon as I figured out what was going on, but the nurse started screaming
in my face, "I told you to hold her hands!  She could have ripped herself
open with those needles!  What's your problem anyway?"

I don't do well with someone yelling in my face because of childhood abuse
issues, so I started flashing back, shaking really bad.  The next thing I
knew, my barely five-year-old was screaming right back at this nurse, "She's
blind!  You're supposed to tell her when you do the shots!  What are you,
stupid?"

She and I had a little chat about how we don't scream at grown-ups or call
them stupid, or really anybody else, for that matter.  But I told her I was
proud of her for sticking up for me and that she was right, the nurse should
have given me a heads-up when she was going to put the needles in, and the
whole problem would have been avoided.  She's a smart kid.  That time I did
file a complaint with the clinic.  Apparently the nurse in question didn't
usually work with kids; she was one who floated in from another department.
I said she needed to work on her people skills in general.

Jo Elizabeth

Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may
kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at
evening.--Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.