[blparent] Has anybody heard these Learn More 924 commercials on the radio?

Jennifer Stewart Jackson jennifersjackson at att.net
Sat Jan 11 18:51:49 UTC 2014

I find research interesting and would like to know more about the connection between total blindness and sleep disorder. The truth is that such a study would be difficult to conduct because of all the difficulties in coming up with appropriate control groups. When Vanda was doing this research and looking for participants I did not contact them because I have several other things that effect my sleep that I know are not related to blindness, so I just assumed they would not take me. Apparently I should have collected my $50, or whatever they were paying. :)
I think the price we are paying in negative public perception from these commercials is too high for us. Vanda is probably banking on doctors prescribing this to sighted people to make up for the expenses involved in bringing the drug to market given what a small target market this applies to.

I would also be interested to know what the connection is with the NFB leadership that brought this group to the national conference.

I stand by my belief that we should all consider our blindness as a factor in any sleep issues we are struggling with to the extent that light deprivation may be involved. I think there is a chance that this new medication will only cloud the issue when we are working with medical providers, especially if they see this as the obvious solution.

Sometimes it just comes down to figuring out what works and moving on. The serious medical stuff going on with my son's sleep deprivation were such that we finally focused on what would just make him sleep. He was on a prescription drug that just knocked him out every night for a few hours for about a year, and now he takes a huge dose of melatonin and Benadryl at the same time every night. If I catch him awake in the night, or he is still up hours later, I give him another Benadryl. This is all in addition to the environmental issues we include in his treatment.

Jennifer