[blparent] use of equipment and devices for blind parrents

Jesper Holten jesper.holten at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 08:21:55 UTC 2014

Dear all.
I and my wife are expecting our baby in December and have started
preparing for the addition to our Family. We are both completely blind
and we would like to get input on what some of you have been buying,
when it comes to equipment and devices games, changes to the house
etc?
1. We will be living in a house with a ground floor and a first floor
containing bedrooms and the master bathroom. And we plan to install a
gate at the staircase later when the Little one starts to move around
on his own. Changing dibers will most likely happen in the bathroom
but what kind of setup have you been using?
2. We are planning to use a baby carrier for longer transports maybe a
backpack. We are also consdering a baby sling but would like input on
what type. THere has been some concerns about the use of baby slings
especially for newborns, and we would like som input on this as well.
3. If you have ideas on any physical changes we should consider making
or ways to prepare for the baby all suggestions are welcome.

4. We will get consultancy from a professional at the Institute for
the  Blind here in Denmark
Here in Denmark there are a few totally blind couples but we imagine
that there are a larger Group in the US where both parrents are blind.
Thank you in advance,
Best regards, Jesper