[blparent] Fw: NEW DISCOVERY / TLC DOCUMENTARY SERIES

Deborah Kent Stein dkent5817 at att.net
Tue May 6 23:24:09 UTC 2014

I have been contacted by Alex Thomas, a documentary filmmaker working with the TLC network, a cable network with international distribution.  He is seeking blind women who are pregnant to be interviewed for a series on “unusual pregnancies.”  This could be a great opportunity for us to reach a wide audience about the capabilities of blind parents and the challenges we face from the uninformed public.  If you are expecting a baby and would like to get involved in this project, please contact me as soon as possible at dkent5817 at att.net.  Thanks in advance!
Here is the information that Alex Thomas sent me:
I work at Cineflix Productions, a TV production company that has recently been commissioned to make 6 x 60 minute episodes for Discovery / TLC, on the subject of pregnancy (working title “The Pregnancy Project”).

This brand new factual series will take a look at unusual pregnancies around the world - meeting mums-to-be who are juggling the excitement and anxiety that pregnancy is expected to bring, but who might have an extra 'something' to take into account.

As we are in the early stages of research I would like to speak to as many pregnant ladies as possible.

Each programme aims to be positive and uplifting, following excited mums-to-be in the second and third trimesters of their pregnancy, We are especially keen to speak to those moms who have additional challenges to take into account.

It may be that there is the additional worry of a weight related condition or severe morning sickness  (Hypermesis Gravidarum) to contend with, or perhaps there is added anxiety as the mother is blind .

We will follow women through their unusual pregnancies, as they and their families prepare for the birth of their baby. From sharing the news with loved ones, to medical appointments (as and when allowed), through to the labour, birth (again, if allowed) and baby shower.

We would also like to be able to film with the pregnant mum's medical practitioner.  This will help the audience understand how the expectant mother's condition affects her experience of pregnancy medically, while the mum-to-be and their loved ones will take us through the day to day realities of their unusual pregnancy.

It would be great to speak to you or anyone else that you think may be interested, but please be assured that there is absolutely no obligation whatsoever to take part and all conversations are held in strictest confidence.

 We are still awaiting final approval of a flyer that we hope to distribute to organizations / forums such as yourself. Hopefully it will all be approved tomorrow and I will forward it across to you.

Best regards,

Alex Thomas.

---