[blparent] FW: [MastersList] MOTHERHOOD THEN AND NOW

Eric Calhoun via blparent blparent at nfbnet.org
Sat May 10 16:37:37 UTC 2014

For blparent and blindkid.

Original Message:
From: Dean Masters via MastersList <masterslist at emissives.com>
To: "masters list" <MastersList at emissives.com>
Subject: [MastersList] MOTHERHOOD THEN AND NOW
Date:
Sat, 10 May 2014 10:38:55 -0400

MOTHERHOOD THEN AND NOW

Motherhood, the world's oldest profession, has
always been fraught with
fears, yet filled with pride. Today is special to
mothers everywhere.

Copyright 2005

Leslie A Turvey

A servant of the only
true and living God

Mothers had it easy when I was a kid. They could send
their children to the
neighbour's house to play, and know they had nothing
to fear. In fact, every
mother in the neighbourhood was every kid's mother,
and treated us just as
our own mothers would.

Mothers taught us to never
talk with strangers, but for some reason never
explained what a stranger
was. To us, strangers were friends we hadn't met
yet.
Strangers weren't
bogeymen who would stuff us in the trunk and drive us
miles from home,
only to molest and murder us.

Mothers in the mid-twentieth century taught
us to look left and right before
we crossed the street. I really don't
know why. There were so few cars on
the streets we took a greater risk of
stepping on a pile of road apples left
by the milk man's horse, than ever
getting run down by a Chevy or a Ford.

In Our town a siren signalled
curfew at nine every evening. Only the most
foolhardy teenager would dare
be on the streets when it sounded. Yes,
mothers
didn't need to worry where
their children were after dark: they were at
home, safe from I don't know
what. It was just after the war, so maybe our
mothers
feared some evil
Germans - Krauts, we called 'em - or some enemy Japs would
kidnap us.
Through the years those Krauts and Japs became honourable
Canadian
citizens, and their children became our best friends.

Our
mothers always knew when we didn't show up for school: the principal
phoned to ask where we were. Of course he knew we were likely skinny
dipping
in
the nearby stone quarry, but it was important for our mothers
to know we had
skipped classes. Our punishment was never severe, but we
remembered to be
in school for the next day.

Mothers didn't need to worry
about television or computers taking us away
from our homework. Computers?
What were they? Television? Only a few
families
in Ourtown had one - black
and white with round screens, and the pictures
were rather fuzzy at
best.

Yes, mothers had it easy back then. Oh, I know, they didn't have
epidurals
and such to ease the pain of childbirth, but as the bible says,
"When a
woman
is about to give birth she is in great pain. But after it is
all over, she
forgets the pain and is happy, because she has brought a
child into the
world
(John 16:21 Contemporary English Version)."

Today's
mother worries if her child is a bit late coming home from school.
Every
man - even the kindly old gentleman who lives down the block - might
be
paedophile, just waiting for little Annie to walk alone instead of with
her friends.

Mothers fear becoming grandmothers too soon, and are torn
between berating
the school system for handing out condoms, or trying to
teach their
daughters
about abstinence. It's difficult to reason with the
argument that everybody's
doing it, even though Mom knows that's not
true.

Curfew? What's that? Eleven o'clock; midnight; three in the morning.
Whether
the kids believe it or not, moms become frantic as they wonder
whether their
teen has overdosed, or was a passenger in the car driven by a
drunked up
driver when it hit a tree.

But, whether it was then or now,
mothers are the proudest people in the
world when their son crosses the
stage to receive a diploma announcing
another
phase in his life is over,
and a new one is about to begin.

Mothers get leaky eyes when their
daughter walks down the aisle to become
the bride of the handsomest fellow
in town. And mothers look forward to the
day
when the newlyweds will
present her with a tiny new life who will someday
call her Grandma.

This
Sunday is a day to honour mothers everywhere. You can shower her with
gifts, and take her out to dinner, but the way to make it her happiest
Mother's
Day is by telling her, "Mom, I Love You."

Dean Masters, owner
of the Masters List

Now to Him who is able to keep you from falling, and
to make you stand in
the presence of His glory blameless with great joy, to
the only God our
Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty,
dominion and
authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen. Jude
1:24-25

To join the Masters List go
to:

If
you would like to receive The Sunday News which I write,
Or if you would
like to receive The Sunday News and one devotional that I
forward each
day
Or if you would like to receive The Sunday News plus several devotions
forward each day please write to me and let me know which you would
like.
My address is:

dwmasters15 at gmail.com

MastersList mailing