[blparent] To a new mother

Miriam mdffeiner at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 00:58:30 UTC 2014

First of all, congratulations. Hi, my name is Miriam. I have never written into the list although I've been reading it for a while. I have three  young children. I  was thinking about the most important things to have when having a baby. And this is what I came up with. Of course, everybody has their preferences. Also, I am apologizing in advance for this being so long.
1.  A baby carrier this is by far the most important piece of baby equipment for me. I have found that the most comfortable ones are the soft structure carriers. I have a catbird pikkolo. They are more expensive but well worth it..
2. A sleep sack with a swaddle like the halo sleep sack swaddle instead of wrapping babies in a receiving blanket. It is much easier to get a safe tight swaddle this way. It also helps to make sure that you dont  keep their hips too tight.
3. A medicine syringe with a notch so you know how much medicine to give.
4.  A medicine Passy. This is basically a pacifier that has a place on the bottom for you to put in Medicine This makes it a lot easier to give them medicine.
5.  A pacifier clip. This helps not to lose Passy's. Although that happens all the time anyway.

6.  A bath with a sling. This helps so that you don't have to hold the baby in the right position. There are many to choose from you have to find the one that you like best.

7. A saline spray and aspirator. This is to help to unclog their nose. When they have a cold or I just stuffy. This tends to happen a lot in the first few months.

8. Bactroban for soreness from nursing. This is if you are choosing to nurse. This is a little hidden secret that helps the most. It is prescription but most doctors will give it to you. Also, this is safe for your baby while nursing. It does not get absorbed into their blood.
9. A cradle. I use the arms reach cradle. This attaches to the side of the bed and also has a way to put all four sides up. There are many to choose from but this is what Ilike because I can hear and feel my baby during the night without getting up.
10. Clothing. Of course. I really like the cotton zip up one piece outfit. They are really easy and avoid snaps. I just have to be careful not to cut their skin. To do this, it is helpful to first do the top snap  they all have and then zipper the rest of it. These are also very cheap.
11. A carseat

Also, I have found that baby Center is the best place to get answers for questions.one last thing. I think the most important thing is to have someone to talk to you and run by things with. I would be glad to talk to anyone directly through email. My email address ismdffeiner at gmail.com