[blparent] Intro

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Mon Apr 20 16:55:49 UTC 2015

Hi Nicole.  I've done the stepmom thing for a long time.  Well, sort of
unofficially.  We never got married, but I've been in the lives of my
boyfriend's kids since they were twelve and sixteen, and now they're
nineteen and twenty-three.  The nineteen-year-old calls me Mom because he
wants to, and I get along with both of them really well.  I've given them a
half sister they love to death and spoil shamelessly.  We spend most
holidays with my boyfriend's ex wife.  Overall, it's been a pretty good
resolution.

There were definitely some bumps in the road.  Most of them had to do with
blending families, not blindness.  My first and biggest piece of advice
would be, don't try to be your stepson's mom.  You'll never pull it off, and
you shouldn't want to.  He already has a mother, no matter what the
situation is.  She may or may not be a good one, she may or may not be in
the picture, but he already has a mother; he doesn't need another one.  If
there are two parents involved, let them handle the big issues, like
schoolwork, discipline, etc.  Encourage them to work together and not use
the kid as a weapon against each other, especially if the divorce was recent
or bitter.  In my case, the three of us resolved, and pretty much stuck to
it, that the kids came first.  Our feelings aside, we tried to make the best
of it for the kids because it wasn't their fault that we had put their whole
world into a tailspin.

That being said, it doesn't mean you have to sit back and get walked on.
You have the right to ask for and expect to be respected in your house.
That goes for anybody, your stepson or anyone else.  That's different from
him doing his homework, it's common courtesy.  Especially if he doesn't live
with you all the time, when he comes over, you have a right to ask him to
follow your rules because he is in your house.  This is where  things got
tricky with my stepson at times.  He ended up sitting on the porch more than
once for calling me names because I wouldn't allow anyone to speak to me
that way in my home, and for a while he wasn't permitted to be there at all
because anybody who refused to tell me he was leaving, whether he sneaked
out or walked right out the door without saying where he was going and when
he would be back, wasn't welcome.  But once the battle of wills is over,
things usually smooth out just fine.  You're getting your stepson at a
younger age, so you might not go through as much, either.

As far as your blindness goes, just use all of your senses and your common
sense.  I heard my stepson taking coins from a piggy bank once and called
him on it.  He denied it at first, but he was caught red-handed, so he
eventually admitted that he had taken the coins to play the arcades at
Wal-Mart.  I told him that from then on I expected him to be honest with me
because I would rather have him tell me the truth than steal from me, and I
would have given him the coins if he had asked me for them, but if he
started stealing, I could never trust him in my house anymore.  He has done
other things to shake my trust, so I'm not sure the talk made much of an
impression on him, but it impressed his little sister who heard it.  She's
mentioned it a few times since then, and she tells her friends her blind mom
has eyes in the back of her head, hiding under her hair.

Like I said, I've got a lot of years in as a blended family veteran, so if
questions come up, ask away.

Jo Elizabeth

Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may
kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at
evening.--Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.