[blparent] Accessible ways to track diaper changing, feeding, etc.

melissa at riccobono.us melissa at riccobono.us
Fri Dec 11 12:40:19 UTC 2015

When we were in the hospital, I would keep track of amount of time the baby
fed (I nursed all three of my kids, so we did not know how many ounces were
drunk), the amount of time fed on each side, and then the number of diapers
changed, and whether they were wet or more solid. At first, it will be hard
to tell if the diaper is wet; believe me, that will definitely change! With
my first child, I think I pretty much rang the nurse each time I fed (except
at night) and each time I changed a diaper so that the nurse could write
this down in the log attached to his chart. With my daughters, I kept track
more in my head and would report everything when the nurse came in for
routine checks--which will happen fairly often. If you are worried about
your memories, you could write this info down in braille or in any other way
you use to keep track of things, and then report back to the nurse or
doctor. Once you get home from the hospital, unless there is a problem of
some sort, you will not need to keep track of these things in a formal way.
If there is a problem, I don't think you need any special app or anything. I
am sure doctors will not care how they get the information, as long as they
receive it. So I would probably make a spread sheet or a table and keep
track of things that way if needed.
Good luck. Try to focus, as much as possible, on getting to know your own
baby and being in the moment with her. Everything will fall into place. You
will figure these things out. As the saying goes, don't sweat the small
stuff!
Melissa