[blparent] school issue again

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Wed Feb 18 15:49:47 UTC 2015

Diana,

First, we have to be sure what you have been told.  Do you have a BookShare membership?  Are you being told that even if you have a BookShare membership that you can't get these books even if they are
available?  It isn't clear what the situation is.

While I believe that we as parents should be able to get accessible copies of textbooks used by our kids, I do not know if the law is clear as to what degree parents should have such access.  Therefore, we
really do need to look for cooperative solutions with the school districts.  If there is a restriction that prevents books from NIMAS from be provided to parents, that might be something that we could work to
change, but I'm not certain what is the case here.  A school district that is dealing with a child who is not disabled isn't going to know what might work best for disabled parents, we have to gently educate them.
They may also not have any legal obligation to help disable parents but may still be willing to do what they can.  I do not think the legal rights here are necessarily clear.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson