[blparent] Dealing with admiration from the public

Tara Briggs thflute at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 21:55:14 UTC 2015

Dear collective wisdom:
Since I started bringing my little girl to church, I have had lots of comments on what an amazing person iamb for being her blind parent. I get a little bit frustrated by these comments, because I wish I could just be seen as a mom who happens to be blind rather than a blind mom. My responses have been: to give people the parenting without site manual, to talk about my blind friends who are parents and their experiences, and to say thank you as graciously as I can. However, when a stranger who doesn't know me at all says that I am in credible I feel a little bit hurt. I have tried to think of why. I think this is because she is not getting to know me as a person. She just sees that I'm a blind one. I'm not the one who's incredible, it's the fact that a blind person is apparent that she finds incredible. Any thoughts or advice?
Tara   briggs

Sent from my iPhone