[blparent] reading tips with child struggling in reading

dawn stumpner dawn205120 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 12:22:33 UTC 2015

Hi, Nicole
     I agree with the person that said to try some books more at
his level.  If you can read braille, maybe get a few twin vision
books, or there are books with the print and braille almost
aligned, but I like the twin-vision ones because they have the
pictures kids like.  The reason I suggested getting the book in a
format you can read too is that sometimes in the beginning when I
worked with my kids who struggled with reading, they were just
overwhelmed by how "long" the book was we were going to read.
The book wasn't long, it was just a book like the arthur books,
etc., but they would sometimes get hung up on how many pages
there were.  At the beginning, I would let them read one page,
and I would read 1-2, and as their speed and tolerance for
reading grew, I had them read 2 to my one, until I finally let
them read all of it.  You might even consider starting at
something just below his level to build his confidence, and when
he sees he can do it, go to his level.  But don't move up to the
next level the first day he seems to get it because the
frustration can quickly return.  It'll seem like things aren't
working and he's frustrated, but just say calm, always calm, and
all of a sudden, he'll get it! When he gets his level up enough
that he's reading more on his own, my sons really enjoyed those
choose-your-own-adventure books where it tells you to go to one
page if you want the characters to do one thing, and go to
another if you choose another action.  It really kept their
interest around that age.  Good luck! He'll get there!