[blparent] Baby on the Way! Now, Where to Live?

Star Gazer pickrellrebecca at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 17:11:09 UTC 2015

					Hi.
First, realize that realtors only get paid if they close a deal. That is
their goal and that's all they do. If you tell them you like pink elephants,
they will tell you pink elephants visit the house once a week in hopes that
this will make you close on the house.
My approach for house hunting is to look for kids and dogs. People take care
of their children and their pets. If you don't see children or dogs it's not
a place you want to be, even if it's a place other people like.
Talk to people. If they don't want to talk, you don't want to live there.
They should have the social skills to engage with you. If they do not, odds
are it has to do with the neighborhood and you don't want to live there.
Listen to what people say and don't discount based on age or anything. If
the sweet little old lady you talk to tells you that "kids fly through the
intersection" listen to her. If the teenager you talk to says she doesn't
like the local school, listen to that. If the elementary schooler asks if
your kid will be joining science club, pay attention.
Don't ever think "I can live with this" or "We can make this work". It's
like being infatuated with a guy, when you see the house you want, you'll
know.
Realize that you know more about all this then you think. You like where you
are now, and you seem to like the apartment you just rented. When the time
is right, if it is right, you will apply those skills to buying a house.
That house you saw last weekend combined with everything else you've written
tell me that buying a house at this time in your life isn't right for you.
Listen to that.