[blparent] How do you start to explain people's unfounded fears to your children?

Sharon Howerton shrnhow at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 15:46:06 UTC 2015

Jo Elizabeth, this is certainly an interesting thread and I appreciate the input. I re-read your post about the mom's job. Just because a person works in the special ed field doesn't mean they know anything about the day to day or, as I think it was Judy said, she may be used to kids with more special needs and would not see any of them as parents. You might start by inviting this child or other of Sarah's friends to your house to play with her, get to know the parents as they drop them off and/or pick them up and then expand your play environment with them once you know them, they know you and the parents do as well.

Trust me, as our kids grow, it doesn't get any easier. There are still issues. They change all the time even when our children are grown and adults.
Sharon