[blparent] How do you start to explain people's unfounded fearsto your children?

Nevzat Adil nevzatadil at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 16:47:53 UTC 2015

There is nothing you can say to make sense of a nonsense. The child
knows it's nonsense. It is the adult who does not know. I guess the
only way to allay fears of the adult is to go to the park together
with you at least once.

Once I had a seven-year-old blind student who challenged me to take
him to the park. I guess an adult put into his head that since I am
blind I could not take him to the park. But I did take him to the park
and the nonsense went away.
Misconceptions can only be dispelled by actions and not by words. You
can say a thousand times that you do something safely, but unless you
prove it in practice it means nothing.

I would also put in a word of caution: no matter what you do some
adults will not change, because they have not been around competent
blind people. And I use the word competant, because not all blind
people are that.

Nevzat Adil, father of a twelve-year-old sighted child.