[blparent] blparent Digest, Vol 130, Issue 14

dawn stumpner dawn205120 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 13:00:47 UTC 2015

Hi, Kim
     I'm sorry that's happening to you and your son.  Two of my
three kids have some special needs.  My oldest was diagnosed
pretty young with ADHD, but we found later that this was probably
a misdiagnosis.  Anyway, it's rough that your son's father is
backing away, but you're doing the right thing hanging in there.
There will be rough patches for both you and your son, but there
will be many many wonderful stretches too, and supportive people.
My sons' dad was growing very distant too, not because of the
boys' special needs, but other things, but regardless of the
cause, it is a painful thing.  In my case, my ex-husband had a
lot of things going on that made him this way.  I found out that
he had secretly returned to drinking after giving it up many
years before (shortly after we'd met), he was in denial about it,
he was becoming dishonest about many many things, was not taking
responsibility for his own actions or for helping taking care of
the kids and keeping jobs, and eventually got in trouble with the
law and tried to hide it from me.  I felt I could not trust him
any more about anything and was afraid to leave the kids with him
when I went to work.  I didn't want to be a part of that or
expose the kids to all of that, so though I knew divorce can be
painful for kids, I decided it was much preferable to staying
together.  I have not regretted that decision for one moment.
There are challenges to being a single parent, to be sure, but
the kids and I are very very close, and we have done very well on
our own in spite of the challenges of having three, and now
teens.  Keep in touch, be strong, it while you learn from the
negative things, stay positive!
     Dawn