[blparent] Intro and Question about city accessibility

Star Gazer pickrellrebecca at gmail.com
Fri May 15 17:37:25 UTC 2015

		We recently moved to a city I wasn't sure about. Turns out
to have been a wonderful decision.
I'd worry less about political views, all I care about is if there are
things to do with my kids and husband.
I'm not a fan of my state's political leanings but I don't have the time or
energy or inclination to really care. I am far more concerned with whether
or not my kids have good schools, safe places to play, and if there are fun
things to do.
Wherever you look, see if they have activities you enjoy. We have a local
airport that is very active in general as opposed to commercial aviation. WE
also have a drum circle that meets at a family friendly hour. The libraries
have a lot of kid activities starting at very young ages. When I called the
local library of the other place we were looking at, the librarian acted
like I had two heads when I asked about story time for babies.
The local parks have geese and ducks and families as opposed to only joggers
go there.
When you decide on an area, mention it to people to get their take. My
husband considered a move to a different city before we moved here. We were
interested in a neighborhood that was over a hundred years old. When I'd
mention it to people in the area, they'd all get quiet and if they said
anything at all, it was "oh, I've never heard of that place". Either
something not so nice was going down in that area, or there was some other
reason people didn't talk about it.
Conversely, when we found what is now our current home, everybody I spoke
too had nothing but good things to say about it. There was no hesitation and
they were willing to share that they knew of the area and what they knew of
it.
As for your concerns about being judgmental, I wouldn't worry. People aren't
thinking about you as much as you may think. If your experience is proving
otherwise, either you are impersonal comments personally, are you are doing
something that puts people off. Nobody cares if you are a single mom. They
may care if you make comments about how men are no good or if you seem
bitter.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.