[blparent] Can blind people adopt?

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Sat May 23 15:50:12 UTC 2015

Alana,

The answer to your question as to whether blind people can adopt is "yes," but of course it is not as simple as that.  To my knowledge, it is pretty rare that a country has an official position against blind people
adopting, and even if that is the case, the definition of "blind" may not be what we commonly think of here.  Even if a country says it does not permit blind people to adopt, it may not mean that an adoption
agency in this country might not be able to make it happen.  In recent years, some of the countries who have traditionally been sources of adoptions have tightened up their policies.  As I understand it, both
Russia and China have tighter policies now than they did some time back, but not just regarding blind people but foreign adoptions in general.

The larger issue is simply whether an adoption agency will consider allowing one to adopt as a blind person.  If one partner in a relationship has vision, it is usually easier, but blind couples can definitely adopt
children.  One needs to be persistent and patient.  Not all of the questions that one is asked are intended to prevent one from adopting.  Social workers who work with adoption generally do not know how blind
people carry out parenting and the most open social workers will ask many questions just to understand.  Certainly there is discrimination in adoption, but usually taking the time to fight such discrimination legally
will mean you won't be able to adopt so most of us who have adopted children did not go that route.

There are many blind people who have adopted kids both from within the United States and from other foreign countries, and I believe a number of people on this list have adopted.  Both of my kids came from
Korea some twenty years or more ago.

I hope this addresses your question.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson