[blparent] Can blind people adopt?

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Fri May 29 18:43:35 UTC 2015

Sharon,

The point I was trying to make is that one needs to try to be aware of the situation for blind people within the
culture from which you are adopting if you are dealing directly with an agency within that country.  If one's goal
is to adopt a child, one may need to play the game so to speak and emphasize the vision one has if one has some
remaining vision.  As a simple example, in a country where many people do not drive because being able to afford a
car is not common, not having enough vision to drive is not going to be all that significant.  If those who are
totally blind in that country are not able to function independently through lack of training or services, there
may be an even more significant bias attached to the word blind.  This kind of goes against our way of thinking
where we recognize that we have more in common because of our blindness than differences from different levels of
vision.  If one is blind, one may want to be sure that in pictures sent to the agency one appears particularly
active.  For example, for one of our adoptions, I had a picture taken of me standing on the very peak of the roof
of our house with my arms extended working on a television antenna.  My guess is that they assumed I had some
vision to be doing that, but I never said I had vision since I don't have any at all.  At the very least, I
probably challenged the image they had of what a blind person does.  Making sure it is apparent that one can do
normal household chores is important, even more important than exactly how they are done.  Pictures scrubbing and
working on a hot stove to show that it is something one does is important.  If I had some vision, I would not be
afraid to mention it even if I would downplay it here in order to ease their minds about allowing me to adopt.

Someone mentioned in another note that a foreign adoption is easier in some ways than adopting within the United
States.  From what I've heard, that is true sometimes, but some foreign adoptions are channeled through local
agencies so a foreign adoption does not always mean avoiding local agencies.  Some countries will require a home
study from a local agency, for example.

In the above, I used the expression "Playing the game."  One has to go into the adoption process with a clear idea
of what one wants.  It is a system that is very hard to change if your goal is to adopt.  Much of the judgements
made as to what constitutes a good match is very subjective.  What we think of as discrimination would be very
difficult to prove even if it is true.  Not getting along with an adoption worker could mean that you simply don't
get good referrals.  Therefore, one needs to do one's best to educate and remain patient.  The fact that you might
be asked questions that are unfair or that show extreme ignorance is just not relevant if the goal is a successful
adoption.  One might need to be sure that someone is available to listen to one's frustrations, though.  <smile>

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson