[blparent] Teaching 14 month old baby to come to me

Judy Jones jtj1 at cableone.net
Thu Oct 1 03:54:26 UTC 2015

Right on!

Judy

-----Original Message-----
From: Jo Elizabeth Pinto via blparent
Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 9:24 PM
To: Blind Parents Mailing List
Cc: Jo Elizabeth Pinto
Subject: Re: [blparent] Teaching 14 month old baby to come to me

I would suggest, at fourteen months, making a game out of calling your
daughter's name while she is very close to you.  Give her lots of hugs or
tickles, or whatever she enjoys, when she comes to you, and praise her up
verbally.  Don't make a big deal at this stage of the game if she doesn't
come.  Work up to calling her from further away.  Make responding to her
name and coming to you a very positive experience.  You can work on
consequences for not coming or not answering later, when your daughter is
verbal and when her thinking is more developed.  But right now--forgive me
for the comparison--it's almost like training a puppy.  You want your
daughter to make a positive connection with hearing her name and coming to
you, and have that connection reinforced over and over again.

Jo Elizabeth

"The Bright Side of Darkness"
is my newly published novel,
available on Kindle and in paperback at Amazon.com.
Audio coming very soon!