[blparent] Joining a mommy and me group

Judy Jones Judy.Jones at icbvi.idaho.gov
Wed Oct 7 21:16:24 UTC 2015

Wonderful letter!

I don't think there is such things as a supermom, blind or otherwise, I agree with you, we all just want the best for our kids.

With my husband and I both being blind, we positioned ourselves strategically when buying our house, and were able to make the most out of our transportation options in the area.  Plus, as the kids get older, especially once they enter school, we found that stay-at-home mom was an oxymoron, since there is always something going on with the kids, you, or rest of the family that keeps you away from the house.  During the girls' growing up years, I remember many times, where my husband and I would be literally passing each other coming and going.  The proverbial "ships in the night." He was very helpful in taking one girl someplace when I might be at home with the other, or vice-versa.  He was working fulltime then, but still managed to help with evening activities as they arose.

The transportation for us was key, though, and a very important thing to work out for a blind parent.

Also, there are always going to be times, whether one is sighted or blind, when you feel "odd man out."  It happens to everyone for any reason, but to us, can seem magnified when being blind, I know.

Judy