[blparent] Most accessible baby monitors (and thermometer)

Steve Repsher steverep at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 12:50:23 UTC 2015

Hi all,

My wife and I are expecting our first child in a couple months, and being
the computer nerd and engineer of the two of us along with being visually
impaired, I took on the task of finding a baby monitor that would be
accessible to me without taking away any "sight" features from her (e.g.
video is a requirement).  Instead of going with a typical baby monitor with
a single receiver, I'm planning to go the more techie route and buy an
IP/security camera, connect it to my home network, and use our phones and
tablet as receivers.  There is plenty of info on the web about this more
DIY approach, but nothing about the accessibility of the smartphone/tablet
apps that would be used to control everything.

So, without me wasting time and energy on going through testing all of
them, I thought I'd ask the members of this list for suggestions on what
worked for them and what didn't with this approach.  All comments are
welcome!

And while I'm on the subject of accessible baby products, what's the
consensus on the best talking baby thermometer? (I know, the choices aren't
exactly abundant).

Thanks for your time!

Steve