[blparent] Car Seats for Kids Whose Parents Don't Drive?

Allison allison82 at cox.net
Fri Sep 4 03:27:26 UTC 2015

Hi Everyone,

My apologies because I suspect this topic has been brought up before.

My fiancé and I are both blind and expecting a baby girl in January. We went
baby registry shopping the other day, and got to feel exactly what today's
car seats look like.  Now I get what people mean when they talk about
installing a car seat base. I guess that sighted people leave the base
installed in their car and then move the car seat in and out as needed.
However, what do people do who don't own their own car and use various other
forms of transit? Since fiancé and I are both blind, we ride in a variety of
cars in any given week. We use Uber, cabs, paratransit, or friend/family
cars. I do have blind friends who have showed me their car seats, but all
these blind parent friends have sighted partners with their own cars. So I
was hoping to hear from other blind parents who don't have access to their
own cars. What is the car seat situation like for you? Do you carry car seat
and base around with you everywhere you go?  Do you have a specific brand or
style of car seat that you think is especially portable? When your kids get
older and the car seats get bigger, how do you travel with all that
equipment? Do you have any other tips for car seat shopping and baby travel
planning?

Also, I've heard that people are allowed to travel on buses and light rails
without car seats. Has anyone done this and does it feel safe?

Thanks in advance.

Allison