[blparent] Sizing Up Bikes?

Michael Baldwin mbaldwin at gpcom.net
Sun Sep 20 14:57:25 UTC 2015

Whatever they can ride comfortably. My 9 year old rides a 20 inch bike, and
she is on the small side.
I first see if they can reach the ground, after they ride without training
wheels, if they can tip-toe the ground leaning off to one side a little,
that is good enough. Then the seat needs to be adjusted so the knee is a
little bent when the one peddle is fully down. Handlebars, I just let the
girls tell me where they want it for comfort.
If the seat is almost fully up, then it is time for a larger bike.

Michael