[blparent] NFB and Cane Length (was Introduction and a Questionfrom the origenater)

Judy Jones sonshines59 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 19:41:07 UTC 2016

Well, there are rude blind people, just as there are rude sighted people, I
know you already know this anyway.  I've been part of the NFB since the 80s,
and I see by and large a better understanding since the early days.  We were
part of the NFB in Washington state for years where our girls grew up, and
are now part of the Idaho NFB.  One has to grow with the times.  Back in the
day, when we needed to fight for our civil rights, there was much more of a
militant attitude, but that reflected the times.  Now, it is equally
important to stand on one's rights and pursue equality, as you have said,
but that is done in a different way.

BTW, I loved your boyfriend's comment about the hood ornament, tell him from
me, another blind person, that his concern is appreciated nonetheless.

Although there are individuals around that have not been very welcoming, and
unfortunately have been associated with the NFB, the movement is what is
important.  Any particular entity will have persons who will not represent
it well, and it's important to look at the entity itself.  My husband has
said it, and I agree, there are things we may agree or disagree with, but,
as far as we know, the NFB is the best organized blind movement around that
gets things done, and has a proven track record.  It's important to work
amicably and well with others, but also important to stand on the issues
that are important.  If people are rude, it does not mean that their
rudeness is condoned.

BTW, I do use and love the telescopic cane, sold by NFB's independence
market.  All entities will have their share of persons who are always on the
offense.

Judy