[blparent] curious.

Erin Rumer erinrumer at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 03:44:16 UTC 2016

Hi there!

My son Dawson is now five years old and has always been extremely verbal. At only 11 months old he said his first word that was not just mama or dada. From that point on he was throwing out words left and right and at 16 months he was speaking simplified sentences. I had heard of studies where the children of at least one blind parent tended to be more verbal but I saw this for myself with my own child.  With this said, I believe that my son developed his auditory and listening skills at such a young age more because I myself am extremely verbal as well as extroverted and his personality is very similar. I have cited friends who are also extremely verbal and well developed in auditory skills and their children in tern have the same skills developed at a young age.  We teach our children. Everything we know and the things that come most natural to us and are especially a talent of ours are bestowed upon our kids with ease.  Something I found extremely fascinating was how my cited friends and family would tell me that my son as an infant would watch and study my mouth when I spoke.  It was really amazing to see how at such a young age he already had such a strong desire to communicate.  I love how adaptable our children are and at only five months old Dawson started showing signs that he knew there was a difference between my cited husband and myself. Dawson would reach out and touch me or make a specific sound when he wanted another bite of his baby food wear with my husband he would make eye contact and open his mouth to show that he was ready for a bite.  Like several other parents mentioned from the list, my son never got his point across by grunting or pointing so he had to learn to say what he wanted early. This helps tremendously in developing verbal skills and I would suggest to all of my cited friends to pretend that they could not see when their children would communicate this way so that it would help develop their verbal skills. My friends that took me seriously discovered a noticeable difference in the development of their child's verbal skills and are grateful for trying this form of communication.

Take care and happy parenting :-)

Erin

Depend On God!!!