[blparent] Potty training child questions!

Judy Jones sonshines59 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 02:05:37 UTC 2016

I had similar questions, and was told by more experienced mothers that
you'll know if you are atuned to your child's behavior as most parents are.

One of the learning grounds is if your child happens to come into the
bathroom when you are on the potty and you can talk about the potty.
Children are curious.  I asked my daughter if she wanted to try it.  She sat
on the potty with my help for a few seconds, hopped off, but knowledge about
the potty was growing, and a seed had been planted in her mind.

Also remember that potty readiness has nothing to do with the chronological
age, but when the child's body is mature enough, and they start showing an
interest.

One of the first words our older daughter said was "potty," and when they
are taking an interest is when you start the informal training.

You can ask at regular intervals if a child has to go potty.  At first they
may say no, then wet the diaper.  But when you ask them again they may say
yes, sit on the toilet and do nothing.  But this is a learning and growing
process, and the idea is to present the potty regularly.

Keep the whole experience very relaxed but consistent.  Some kids take
longer than others to really have the potty idea down.  Some master in a few
months, where others may take much longer.

A sign a child may have to go is if they get fidgety or start pulling at
their pants or clothes with their hands.  They also may start some fussiness
too.

If you are not sure if they urinated or deficated, wiping both areas in
clean-up will give you your answer.

My kids are grown, but once we actually drifted into the potty training
phase, I don't remember the actual potty training being that big a deal.
Especially with the second, because we were used to the growing routine and
phase.

Hope this helps.

Judy