[blparent] Older kids and interaction with the public.

Judy Jones sonshines59 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 00:08:53 UTC 2016

One thing we used to do as the kids got into the middle-school age or close to it.  When we went shopping, I would give them the choice of going around with me to get my items, or parting company with me at customer service and meeting up at a designated place.  There were times when they wanted to help, and times when they wanted to look at other things, or I would humor them, and after helping me, spend as much time as they needed, or we could allow, at looking at what they wanted, or going to another mall store they wanted.  Trade-offs.

The point is, they were not locked into being my helpers, they knew it, and remained being comfortable as helpers.  When we really needed their help with no alternatives, never-fail, they were right there and willing.

Judy