[blparent] Tips on parenting a toddler and a newborn.

Tammy tcl189 at rogers.com
Mon Jun 20 21:28:42 UTC 2016

Hi,

My son was just a little over 2 when my Daughter was born.  As soon as she
came home from the hospital he decided he would be a baby again.  He stopped
talking and feeding himself and everything for a bit.  If this happens to
you, don't worry about it.  We took Remus to the doctor and were told that
sometimes kids just regress for whatever reason when  new baby comes into
the picture and it's normal.  He's a healthy happy 7 year old now with no
sign that he turned back into a baby when Ashlyn was born.  But I'm telling
you this because we were scared when it happened to us.  We thought we'd
done something wrong.
Other more practical tips, get a double stroller that has two seats behind
each other.  I found that pushing it was a bit of a hastle but not as much
as lugging two kids around when one doesn't want to walk anymore would have
been.  I found the side by side strollers meant Remus could hit or poke
Ashlyn easier and the stroller was quite wide as well.  The front and back
strollers are skinnier and easier to push.     I enjoyed using my wrap when
it was just me and the baby or when my husband could take Remus, but it's
hard to maneuver a toddler at the best of times without having to worry
about the baby on your chest or back.  Try to coordinate naps so both kids
go down together, and as hard as it may be, you lay down for a bit as well,
especially in the beginning.  I know the house work needs doing or the
dishes or fill in the blank, but you won't be any good to either kid if you
don't rest enough.  I can't think of anymore to add, but I hope this helps.

Tammy