[blparent] Stroller Fail!

Judy Jones sonshines59 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 03:56:21 UTC 2016

I love your humor, but I hear your plea for help.

Being an old mom, I'm not up on the newest devices, but I can tell you what
we did.

When the girls got older, My husband and I carried them in a frame pack.
I'm small but have a strong back, and at that time could carry up to 40
pounds, although the girls never did get that heavy before growing out of
their pack.  Unlike the cloth carrier for newer babies that can make your
shoulders and neck tired, the frame pack is not meant to put the weight on
your back anyway, but on its frame, plus there are padded shoulder straps,
and a belt to cinch around your waist that gives even more support.  I'm
almost certain my husband bought both frame packs at Toys R Us.

That was our favorite mode of travel for the toddlers.  Our bus systems had
child seats that would fold down out of the back of the seats, but it wasn't
long before they could safely ride with a seat belt according to car seat
laws in the state at the time.

To start with, with the advice of another blind mom, I bought the umbrella
stroller.  It is a skinny fold-up stroller that has handles off the back
that angle up, that look like umbrella handles..  The great thing about this
stroller, aside from the fact that it folds up for storage, is that it is
skinny, and you can slightly tilt it on its back wheels as you pull it
directly behind you.  I was able to use this stroller with either dog or
cane.  You always would want to slow down when negotiating a corner, a curb,
or any deviation in the ground or line of direction.

Like you, I tried this out before baby.  Still worked with baby.

Another thing we had was a car seat that doubled as a baby carrier.  The
carrier part unsnapped from the car seat part so you could carry it around
when not in the vehicle.  It had a handle that came up from the top end and
one from the bottom end, and you could hold it in one hand like a suit case.

I remember becoming acquainted with certain drop-off points, like the
dry-cleaner in our strip mall near the house.  If I had a lot of shopping to
do, they gladly let me leave any extra baggage and stuff in the corner of
their shop until I was ready to catch a cab.

There are lots of creative ways being mobile.  I never would have thought of
these things unless I had been in situations where I needed mobility on the
fly, and you will be just as creative when the time comes.

I hope some of this helps and encourages you.

Judy