[blparent] Strollers

melissa at riccobono.us melissa at riccobono.us
Thu Mar 17 11:59:30 UTC 2016

Yes, pulling a stroller will get easier with practice. Like most things, it
takes a little time for your body to anticipate what is needed from your
arms to keep a stroller steady and going in the direction you want it. At
least that was my experience.

The way you are describing the stroller however, I'm wondering if some of
your wheels are locked in place, which does make the stroller more wobbly
and harder to turn. Most strollers have breaks, and even if these are only
pressed down a little bit, this can make the stroller harder to move. So
make sure the brakes are not pressed down at all. Next, usually strollers
have little buttons on the back or front wheels or both. These can lock the
wheels in place, or be set to let the wheels have more swivel. It's been a
while, but I believe I found the swivel made the stroller much easier to
turn and manage while I was pulling it. So look on your wheels for little
buttons or levers, and set them opposite to the way they are set now. See if
that makes a difference.

Finally, if this stroller does not work for you, do not feel bad about
buying another one. The advantage this time is that you will have your
actual baby to put in the stroller at the store so you can try it out. I had
fantastic luck with Graco, and it sounds as if you all ready have a Graco
carseat, so you might want to stick with that brand. You can sell your other
stroller before you buy the new one. I really hope you will not have to do
this however. I hope you will be able to use this one and get out and about
whenever you want. Carriers are wonderful, and I used those as well, but a
stroller has a lot of advantages depending where you are going, how long you
will be there, etc.

Oh, I, like Julie, used a backpack carrier with a metal frame. I loved it.
Also we got a wagon when Austin was a toddler, and that was fantastic. Ours
has two seats with seatbelts, so as our family grew, the wagon was extremely
useful for transporting more than one kid. Of course it did not fold up, so
we did not take it on a bus or even in a car, but it was fantastic for trips
around the neighborhood, going to and from their daycare, trips to the
grocery store for a few things, etc. Of course that will be a bit down the
road since the child needs to sit and have good head control before the
wagon stage. I think they actually might have wagons that fold, which I
think might be a nice option if it does indeed exist.

Melissa

---