[blparent] Stroller Fail!

Allison allison82 at cox.net
Mon Mar 21 06:13:30 UTC 2016

Thanks everybody for your replies. My husband and I used the stroller again
this past Saturday and had a bit more luck. He pulled the stroller this time
and he had more patients for it than I. It is getting a bit less awful with
practice, but it is still cumbersome. Plus it was kind of a nightmare to get
on and off of the bus. So I still wore Allyssa in the baby carrier most of
the trip because she and I like that best for now. However, I am genuinely
concerned that I won't be able to wear her long-term because she is already
13 pounds at ten weeks and because I am prone to back pain due to a
childhood spent hunched over large print books. Wearing is a good solution
for now though.

Thanks Steve for your description of locking stroller wheels. Yours made
most sense to me and I'll experiment with that next time we're out.

I liked folks suggestions about umbrella strollers, frame packs, and wagons.
If anyone has any specific brand recommendations I'd love to hear them. I'm
not sure where to find such items and would appreciate any shortcuts that
will keep me from much Google searching.

Lastly, several folks on this list emphasized that I need not feel pressured
to travel out alone with my baby. Thanks, I appreciate that reassurance.
Even so, I genuinely would like to be able to travel with just the 2 of us.
I don't feel I have anything to prove, and I am not opposed to asking for
help. Believe me I'm happy to travel with a friend, family member,  or
colleague when it's convenient and I have been doing that when I can. But is
it so unreasonable to fantasize about being able to travel with just me and
my baby? It is something I enjoy. Sometimes there just isn't anyone else
available to travel with, and I would prefer not to sit at home simply
because others aren't free to go out with us. Example, last Tuesday evening
there was a mom's group meeting that I really wanted to go to. I've been
there a few times and I enjoy it. I find that going to it helps me feel more
balanced and happy. The first two times I went to it, I had my dad drive me
and baby.  That was nice while it lasted. However, last Tuesday, my dad was
unavailable, my husband and best friend were both at work, another good
friend had plans, and my reader was on vacation. And it seemed a shame not
to go simply because I didn't have anybody to go with. I would have gladly
asked for help from someone if I could have thought up someone who might be
interested and available, but I don't exactly know a plethora of people who
have so much free time that they can travel with me and my baby each time I
want to go out somewhere. So since Tuesday's weather was beautiful, I
gathered my car seat and my front carrier and took Uber to the next town
where the meeting was. And Allyssa and I enjoyed ourselves so I was glad I
went. Sure traveling with someone else would have been easier, but I still
think going just us was better than not going at all. Does anyone else
agree? Or am I strange for wanting to travel with just me and baby
sometimes? I don't think I'm trying to make a point about independence, I
just like getting out.

Anyway, I'm feeling ok with traveling for now, but I am genuinely concerned
that my ability to wear my baby is finite due to my back problems. It's
already a bit painful, and baby is only 13 pounds. I've tried 3 different
carriers so far, and I'm open to trying others, but I suspect that there is
an end to a thing that I'll reach sooner than I'd like. So I'll need to find
an alternate way to travel with baby eventually, and I'm thinking my wobbly
Graco stroller may not be it.

Again, tips and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Allison