[blparent] spanking and physical punishments

Judy Jones Judy.Jones at icbvi.idaho.gov
Mon Mar 28 20:35:27 UTC 2016

I understand where you are coming from.  We have a very confused society that is going to be rearing some very confused kids, but it is what it is, and it's too bad that the powers that be can't recognize the difference between child abuse and correction.  Of course, I believe spanking should be the very last resort.  There are numerous ways of gentle and positive discipline that work for more situations than not.  My kids were born in the 80s, the rare instances of spanking worked for them, and they would tell you so.  The real concern is that state and/or federal government is encroaching more and more on the home.  In child abuse cases, this is a good thing, but otherwise not.  If a child has an inkling that the parent does not have the control they should, he will take advantage of that.  Too bad.  The climate we live in shuns guidelines of many kinds, and we have yet to reap the reward.

Judy