[blparent] behavior problems with our 4 year old

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Wed Mar 30 15:55:42 UTC 2016

Natural consequences, or consequences that grow out of the infraction, work
best to teach the lesson.  Last night I asked my daughter to clean up the
trash from the living room where she had been watching TV.  I hadn't kept
tabs on it too well lately, so I was disgusted that there was a Sprite can,
a Slurpee cup from the last time I had taken her to 7-Eleven, a frozen
yogurt tub from when she had gone out with her grandpa over the weekend,
candy wrappers, and so on.  I told her there was no excuse to leave a mess
like that.  She knew where the garbage can was, and she didn't need to wait
for me to tell her to clean up before she did it.  She got extremely rude
with me and even used bad language, which came as a complete shock to me.
But I kept calm and said that because she couldn't pick up her own trash and
because she had disrespected me so much, I wouldn't be taking her to
7-Eleven, which is just down the street and which is one of her favorite
places to go for treats after school now and then, for at least two weeks.
After that, she could earn the privilege back by being respectful.

Jo Elizabeth

"The Bright Side of Darkness"
is my newly published novel,
available in Kindle, audio, and paperback formats at Amazon.com.