[blparent] volunteering in your child's classroom

Ronit Mazzoni rovadia82 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 03:42:38 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,
It’s been a while since I wrote. My 5-year-old son, Alex, just started kindergarten at our neighborhood public school. Just as most  other public schools, this school asks parents to volunteer in the classroom and for other events as much as possible. I want to volunteer but find that I am a little intimidated because I feel like my blindness may prevent me from doing most tasks, especially when the children are so little and can’t read. Have you all volunteered in your child’s classrooms or during school events? What have you been able to do? I have no functional vision.  Other than reading a book in braille to the class, which I have done for his pre-school in years past, what else could I do? Just trying to get some ideas so I can brainstorm in an email to his teacher about what I’d like to help with.
Thanks.
Ronit