[blparent] Volunteering in your child's classroom

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 17:36:13 UTC 2016

Julie,

Before my mom finished her teaching degree 20 years ago, she was working as
a para in the Omaha school district in Nebraska. After No Child Left Behind
Act, OPS wanted all paras to hold an associates degree in education. My mom
was already in the process of receiving her degree, but other paras in the
district were allowed to continue working as a para as long as they began
and completed an AA degree. I believe at the time, they provided tuition
assistance for current paras wanting to pursue this. OPS still requires
paras have an AA in education. My husband applied for a job as a para
working with blind children at OPS 8 or 9 years ago, and one of the
requirements was an associates degree.

My sister wanted to apply for a para job in Iowa, but she first had to
receive a certification through an accredited school. I think it took 6
months to a year for the certification.

Schools still ask for volunteer help, but usually not when involving the
educational side of things. Not anymore. Smaller schools and especially
private schools may be more willing to allow volunteer help during class
time, at least here in Omaha, but my experience is that they do not ask for
or want volunteer help in class for teaching or anything pertaining to
curriculum. Helping with class activities, field trips, providing material
for class, helping with open house nights or book fairs, yes, but as an
actual teaching assistance, they do not want parents or "nonqualified"
people helping in this capacity.

Bridgit

Message: 8