[blparent] new member intro

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Thu Sep 8 13:54:22 UTC 2016

It sounds like you've already made your decision.  You're the parent, it's
totally all you as to what you buy your child.

My personal buying electronics history...
I think my son was 9 or 10, when I bought him a Game Boy...remember those?
*smile*  I don't think they make them anymore, but my son, now an adult,
still has his and it still works.
In junior high school I got him a lap top.  I put it in the same room where
I have my computer, so I could supervise  him while still getting my own
stuff done.
In high school he got a desktop computer.  We homeschooled and the computer
use increased with that.  He was also interested in audio and video
recording and editing.  All totally appropriate and supervised, although by
this time we had developed a strong history of trust about the use of
technology.  So I didn't supervise as closely.
The last thing I purchased was an iPad mini.  He wanted something portable.
It also worked out great in the long run because he refuses to get a
phone...he's never had a cell phone...but with the iPad I can talk to him
with FaceTime, messages and email.

Oh, he did also have a variety of game specific systems, X box and
Playstation, but he  purchased those himself in the high school years.

Kids are different, parents are different and there is not going to be some
purchasing plan that works for everyone.  You have to do what you feel you
need to do that's in the best interest of your child.  I'd encourage you to
think about the difference between need and want and what gift giving means
to you.  In my mind gift giving is for the giver to decide what is most
appropriate, useful, appreciated, meaningful etc.  There are people in my
life who think Christmas is when you submit your shopping list and the stuff
appears.  That's not how I operate.  To each his own though.

Julie
New lowered price on my book:
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC