[blparent] Getting a two-year-old to help clean any advice?

Judy Jones sonshines59 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 04:51:38 UTC 2017

Hi, not an easy thing to do, but the most important thing is to not get
rattled about it, which is easy to do if you like this clean clean house.
Yes, it is important to keep a clean house, but the first priority is
quality time and love as you gently train.

Maybe you can make a game of who can put the toys away the fastest, or make
up a clean-up time song to sing.  The little one's attention span is quite
short, so you will have to train in spurts, and is really done over a
lifetime of helping kids to form habits.

It seems like, while the girls were growing up, most of the house would be
clean, but one small area would need attention.  Then that one would be
picked up and scrubbed or cleaned, but another would need attention.

One thing I did that really did help, was a system promoted by, they called
themselves the Slob Sisters.  Peggy Jones and Pam Young, They developed a
file card system, and wrote a book called Side-Tracked Home Executives.  You
figure out how much time it takes to do a chore, how many times a week you
need to do it.  You make a card for each chore with a file box with 31 days.
The box represents a month.  You file the cards in front of the tabs, the
chores for day 1 will go in front of the #1.  They used to file this way in
the military.

https://www.cluborganized.com/

I will say that, because of schedules, or a number of little things, it was
hard to stick to this system, but the advice is to not worry about what you
don't get done, and concentrate on doing what you can and sticking to the
system as you can.  If you start beating yourself up over what you didn't
accomplish, then you don't feel like getting back at it, the system becomes
drudgery, and that should be avoided.

Here is an interview with one of the sisters, Pam Young.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-ZPVl4aCcEAnother great site like this is
Flylady.net.

They also have a book on Kindle.

Another great system can be found at www.flylady.net